[CIG-MC] ASPECT 1.3 released
heister at clemson.edu
Wed May 20 00:19:31 PDT 2015
We are pleased to announce the release of ASPECT 1.3. ASPECT is the Advanced
Solver for Problems in Earth's ConvecTion. It uses modern numerical methods such
as adaptive mesh refinement, multigrid, and a modular software design to
provide a fast, flexible, and extensible mantle convection solver. ASPECT is
This release includes the following changes:
- New: Averaging of material properties between the quadrature points of a
cell. This greatly increases the stability of solutions in simulations with
spatially varying coefficients, and also greatly accelerates the solution,
at times up to a factor of ten.
- Corrections to the entropy stabilization scheme for compositional fields.
- Fixed and extended: Removal of rigid body translations and rotations when
the simulation has a nullspace.
- New: VTU visualization output can now be grouped into an arbitrary number of
files per time step.
- Various fixes to the nonlinear solver residual computation.
- New visualization postprocessors that can output the shear stress and full
- Fixes to the latent heat formulation.
- New 'ascii data' plugins for boundary and initial conditions.
- New mass flux statistics postprocessor.
- Many other fixes and small improvements.
A complete list of changes can be found at
and the release is also available from
Wolfgang Bangerth, Timo Heister, and many other contributors.
More information about the CIG-MC