[CIG-ALL] CIG February Newsletter

Lorraine Hwang ljhwang at ucdavis.edu
Thu Feb 8 09:38:11 PST 2018

View this email in your browser <https://us12.campaign-archive.com/?e=&u=618aceadf50a174037a17f5a8&id=0cc98d9891>

News Elements
February 2018     Volume 7 Issue 1
Research Highlight
Broadband Ground Motions for a Hayward Fault Earthquake
A team of researchers led by Arthur Rodgers, Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), performed fully deterministic broadband (0-4 Hz) high-performance computing ground motion simulations of a mag-nitude 7.0 scenario earthquake on the Hayward Fault (HF) in the San Francisco Bay Area of northern California using the HPC systems Cori <https://www.top500.org/lists/2017/06/> and Quartz <https://hpc.llnl.gov/hardware/platforms/Quartz> at LLNL. Simulations consider average one-dimensional (1D) and three-dimensional (3D) anelastic structure with flat and topographic free-surfaces. The 3DTOPO case models the domain utilizing the 3D USGS Bay Area geologic/seismic model, a realistic fault geometry, and a topographic free surface. The simulation included mesh refinement and required 15 billion grid points and ran on 2400 nodes (86,400 cores) for about 18 hours total for a total of 1.5 million core hours. Ground motion ... [more <https://geodynamics.org/cig/index.php?cID=1105>]

Rayleigh: New Geodynamo Code Launched
The CIG Dynamo Working Group has focused much of its recent energies on the development of a highly scalable, pseudo-spectral code for simulating dynamo action in rotating spherical geometries.  The resulting code, Rayleigh, is the product of CIG-supported researcher Nick Featherstone’s (CUB) efforts.  It has been shown to scale well to one-quarter million cores (IBM BG/Q) for problems of order 2048^3 in size. Rayleigh is now open for business and is publicly available at on the CIG website [here <https://geodynamics.org/cig/software/rayleigh/>]

JupyterHub
Jupyter notebooks using CIG codes or part of CIG tutorials are now accessible through our website: Software > Jupyter <https://geodynamics.org/cig/software/jupyter/>.  Explore ASPECT, Burnman, and ObsPy without downloading or installing software. Notebooks can also be downloaded from their home repositories for use on your desktop.

Peak ground velocity for high-performance computing simulation of a magnitude 7.0 earthquake Hayward Fault (black line), eastern San Francisco Bay Area, northern California
link to full caption <https://geodynamics.org/cig/index.php?cID=1105>
 <https://geodynamics.org/>
 <mailto:contact at geodynamics.org>
 <https://geodynamicsblog.wordpress.com/>
 <https://www.youtube.com/user/CIGeodynamics>
 <https://github.com/geodynamics>
 <https://twitter.com/UCDgeodynamics>
WEBINARS
February 8 - Gabriele Morra
March 8 - Eric Mittelstaedt
April 17 - Lion Krischer
May 10 -  ASPECT Team
More info <https://geodynamics.org/cig/events/webinars/>
Connect to webinar <https://zoom.us/j/384711375>

MEETINGS
April 25-27: Coupling of Tectonic and Surface Processes
June 10-14: CGU joint wth CIG
June 19-23: PyLith Hackathon
June 19-30: ASPECT Hackathon
July 9 - Aug 3: CIDER
Fall: Rayleigh Hackathoon

NEW RELEASES
Rayleigh 0.9.0
SW4 2.0.1
Virtual Quake 3.1.1

 <https://geodynamics.org/cig/abc>
click the icon for citation info

ALLOCATIONS
Stampede2: 7,625/51,070 SUs
Ranch: 10,000 GB
Maverick: 14,852/ 15,000 SUs

QUICK LINKS
Submit Publications <https://geodynamics.org/cig/news/publications-refbase/submit/>
Software <https://geodynamics.org/cig/software/>

CONTACT US
contact at geodynamics.org <mailto:contact at geodynamics.org>
Are you a Jupyter Notebook developer? Contact us <mailto:help at geodynamics.org> to donate your notebooks so the geodynamics community can explore more usages of community codes.

Elections
Congratulations to our new governing committee members: Carl Tape (EC), David Ham (SSC), Jessica Irving (SSC), and Gabriele Morra (SSC). New members will server 3 year terms ending in 2020.  Many thanks to EC member Omar Ghattas and SSC members Jed Brown, David May, and Carl Tape for their contributions to the community and to the Nominations Committee - Clint Conrad, Wolfgang Bangerth, Ved Lekic, and Sabine Stanley for presenting an excellent slate of candidates.

New Members
Welcome to our newest CIG Member Institutions and Member Representatives: University of Louisiana Lafayette, Gabriele Morra and University of Melbourne, Louis Moresi.

Publications
The beginning of the year is an excellent time to refresh your CV, update us on your publications for listing on our website, and send us your research highlights. If you mention CIG software in your publications, chances are we have it listed on our website [check here <https://geodynamics.org/cig/news/publications-refbase/>]. We especially appreciate images for our website and links to your movies.

Code of Conduct
Do you know that CIG has provided a code of conduct since 2016 for all of its events? The code has recently been officially adopted by CIG as part of our Community Principles.

CIG is an organization intended for networking and collaboration as well as learning. We value the participation of every member of the community and want all participants to have an enjoyable and fulfilling experience. Accordingly, all participants are expected to show respect and courtesy to other participants throughout all acivities and associate interactions online or in person.   ...

Read more about CIG's Mission, Vision, Core Values, and Code of Conduct [mission <https://geodynamics.org/cig/about/mission/>].

Job Opportunities at NSF
NSF has openings for a Division Director <https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/483046300> in GEO/EAR and a Program Director <https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/479207600?org=NSF>for Geophysics.  Consider making an impact on the national level and represent the geodynamics community in Alexandria, VA.
Copyright © 2018 Computational Infrastructure for Geodynamics
All rights reserved.

Our mailing address is:
One Shields Avenue, UC Davis, Davis, CA 95616

 <https://geodynamics.org/>	Website <https://geodynamics.org/>
 <mailto:contact at geodynamics.org>	Email <mailto:contact at geodynamics.org>
 <https://geodynamicsblog.wordpress.com/>	RSS <https://geodynamicsblog.wordpress.com/>
 <https://www.youtube.com/user/CIGeodynamics>	YouTube <https://www.youtube.com/user/CIGeodynamics>
 <https://github.com/geodynamics>	GitHub <https://github.com/geodynamics>
 <https://twitter.com/UCDgeodynamics>	Twitter <https://twitter.com/UCDgeodynamics>

This email was sent to ljhwang at ucdavis.edu <mailto:ljhwang at ucdavis.edu>
why did I get this? <https://geodynamics.us12.list-manage.com/about?u=618aceadf50a174037a17f5a8&id=f360470027&e=&c=0cc98d9891>    unsubscribe from this list <https://geodynamics.us12.list-manage.com/unsubscribe?u=618aceadf50a174037a17f5a8&id=f360470027&e=&c=0cc98d9891>    update subscription preferences <https://geodynamics.us12.list-manage.com/profile?u=618aceadf50a174037a17f5a8&id=f360470027&e=>
Computational Infrastructure for Geodynamics · One Shields Avenue · UC Davis · Davis, CA 95616 · USA

 <http://www.mailchimp.com/monkey-rewards/?utm_source=freemium_newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=monkey_rewards&aid=618aceadf50a174037a17f5a8&afl=1>

Best,
-Lorraine

Lorraine Hwang, Ph.D.